Tuesday, October 28, 2014

WIZARD WORLD AUSTIN COMIC CON TREASURES 10

Cover for Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (Western, 1964 series) #12

I scored a nice copy of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA #12 (May, 1968) at Wizard World. This is one of several nice Gold Key books I got at a nice price from a very friendly dealer. Based on the ABC-TV series of the same name, VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA ran for 16 issues beginning in December 1964 and ending in April 1970. It outlived the Irwin Allen produced television series by a couple of years.

VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA premiered on ABC on September 14th, 1964 on Monday night. It moved to Sunday night for the second season and remained there until September 1968. The first season episodes were broadcast in black and white while all subsequent episodes were in color. I have the complete Season One on DVD as well as the feature film that the series was based on.

VOYAGE was one of my favorite TV shows when I was a kid. It started out as a fairly straightforward science fiction adventure series with some elements of espionage and intrigue. By the time it was over, it had become a "monster-of-the-week" show with the underwater monsters becoming more and more ludicrous. Still, I loved it and I love the comic books based on this fondly remembered program.

No comments:

Post a Comment